Learner License Requirements
A learners license is a driving permit that allows you to drive a vehicle on a public road under the supervision of a licensed driver. There are different categories of learner licenses you can apply for; these are for motor cycles, motor cars and heavy goods vehicles.
Know the Rules
For a learners license you will need to pass the test which demonstrates that you have knowledge about the signs, rules and markings on the road and also know how to control the vehicle. A learners license is valid for 2 years and cannot be extended.
Ready Steady Go!
Requirements for Learners License
How Old Are You?
The following are the requirements for obtaining a learner’s license:
- You must be 16 years or older to apply to ride a motorcycle with a 125cc (or less) engine and a light motor vehicle (less than 3500kg)
- You need to be 17 years or older to apply to ride a motorcycle with an engine over 125cc
- You need to be 18 years or older to apply for all other motor vehicles (more than 3500kg)
Documents Needed When Applying
Great Photo Op
You will need to present the following documents when applying for a learners license:
- Identity card or passport
- 2 Recent passport size photographs (colour or black and white)
- Pass the eye test conducted at the testing centre
You will need to fill in the Learners License Form (LL1) and pay the booking fee when applying for the learners license. Once you pass the test, you will have to pay the issue fee to get your learners license. The fees are not the same and differ from province to province in South Africa.
What Can Disqualify Me?
- If you are suffering from a medical condition such as epilepsy, defective vision or diabetes
- You have been disqualified by a court of law from driving any motor vehicle and the court order is still in force
- If your license has been cancelled or suspended and the order is still in force
- If you already are in possession of the same category of driving license already issued in South Africa